-5°C to 25°C
Kareri Lake trek is a beautiful trek with a freshwater high altitude tarn situated 2,934 meters above sea level and a less explored trekking destination in the Dhauladhars. It is also known as the gateway to the Chamba Valley and shepherds opt for the Kareri-Minkiani Pass & Baleni Pass to cross over the Dhauladhars.
Kareri lake trek begins near a bridge after crossing the Kareri village. The beginning part of the trek is moderate but once you cross the stream you’ll find it pretty and serene. On the other side of the lake, there are a few Gaddi-kothis.
From early December until March and April, the lake is frozen. The lake is a perfect getaway for extended weekend trekking.
Kareri lake trek is meant for beginners and experienced trekkers as well.
Pick point and drop point is ISBT, Dharamshala. Dharamshala is well connected to all major cities of India
By Air: Kangra Airport is the Nearest Airport. You can get here by connecting flights from New Delhi and Chandigarh Airports. Flight to Kangra airport is expensive.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Pathankot Railway Station from there you can take a bus or taxi to Dharamshala. You’ll get a direct bus to Dharamshala from Pathankot Which is 85 km and takes 3 to 4 hours.
By Road: Overnight buses run from New Delhi to Dharamshala. You can also get buses to Dharamshala from Shimla, Manali, Dehradun, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Jammu, Amritsar and Pathankot.
We recommend you to book a flight to either New Delhi or Chandigarh airport and then take an overnight Volvo to Dharamshala. Himachal state govt. Volvo bus ‘Himsuta’ is the most trustworthy and comfortable bus service on this route. Whichever bus you choose, make sure to reach Dharamshala at-least by 7-8am.
Taking a bus from Chandigarh is the best option as it takes 7 hours to reach here.
Once you reach ISBT, Dharamshala or Govt. Bus stand. Team HRI will take care of your further travel. Dharamshala bus stand is a pick and drop point.
The best time to do Kareri lake trek is around the year except monsoons like last week of June to early days of September. In winter months, due to snow & cold, the trek becomes a little challenging but it’s doable with expert guides and you’ll experience a snow trek in January to March.
No, previous trekking experience is not necessary for Kareri lake trek as it is suitable for beginners.
Kareri lake is located at an altitude of 2,941 meters above sea level which is 9,650 in feet.
Start and End points of the trek: Kareri Village
Altitude: 2,941 metres
Duration: 3 Days, 2 Nights
Kareri Lake Trek distance: 25 km
Difficulty Level: Easy – Moderate
Temperature: 35 degrees during the days in the summer season, while the temperature in the winter hits the negatives.
Best time: December end to March end (Snow Trek), April to June, September t0 Mid December.
Nearest Railway station: Pathankot Cantt. railway station.
Nearest Airport: Kangra Airport.
• Altitude:- Dharamshala 4,800 ft to base camp 8,000 ft
• 2 hour drive to Kareri village
• 6km, 4-5 hours trek
• Enough water through the trail
• Easy-Moderate trail.
Your pick up will be arranged from ISBT, Dharamshala at 8am in the morning and drive to Kareri Village. It will be a two hour journey, enjoy the scenic drive.
Start the trek where you will pass through forest and grasslands. There is a slight ascent. You will be completing the 6 km trek in 4 hours.
Enjoy the breathtaking beauty and camp at the riverside for the night. Evening snacks and dinner will be served. Stay in camps.
Included: Pick up, taxi, Guide, Lunch, Dinner, Camp Stay
Altitude:- Kareri Lake 9,600ft
• 7km, 6-7 hours, enjoy the views at Kareri lake
• Enough water through the trail
• Easy-Moderate trail.
Today you will be moving to Kareri Lake which is at the height of 9,800ft. The trail will surprise you as you will walk through Oak, Pine and Rhododendron trees.
The trail also passes through small water streams and rivers. It will take almost 4-5 hours to reach the lake as it has some steep climbs. Enjoy the beauty of Dhauladhar range and the lake view.
Later you'll be return to the base camp.
Includes: Breakfast, Pack Lunch, Guide, Safety Gears, Dinner, Camp Stay
• Breakfast and start down hill trek
• 6km, 3-4 hours trek
• Enough water through the trail
• Drive to Dharamshala, drop at ISBT only
We head back to the same trail treading through oak, pine trees which would take between 3-4 hours and back from there to Dharamshala by taxi, will reach Dharamshala around 4 in the evening. Drop point would be ISBT, Dharamshala.
Includes: Breakfast, Guide, Taxi, Drop at ISBT Dharamshala.
The Kareri Lake Trek is a relatively easy hike in the woods. The walk ascends to a height of over 9,600 feet, requiring basic physical fitness. Beginners and nature lovers will enjoy it.
A basic level of cardiovascular endurance is required for the Kareri lake trek. And you might be wondering how to strengthen your lungs. Begin by jogging four times a week. Begin jogging slowly and gradually increase your speed. As a result, cardiovascular endurance exercises are highly vital for making your lungs stronger than before.
Remember to bring appropriate clothing, remain hydrated, and stay warm to properly acclimate.
We totally understand that unforeseen circumstances might need you to change plans, and so HRI cancellation policy makes it easier to do that. Please read them very carefully.
In case of any unforeseen weather conditions, government restrictions, road blockage or any other unavoidable circumstances beyond our control, certain activities during the expedition or the event itself may be cancelled/skipped, or there could be change in the itinerary.
In such instances, we will do our utmost to find an alternative activity or offer you with a voucher (in the case of event cancellation or rescheduling).
However, there would be no financial refund for the same. You will receive a full refund if the trip is cancelled by us due to a lack of a minimum number of individuals in the batch. Additionally, if you purchased trip insurance, rentals, off-loading, or other activities, you will not receive a refund. The booking cost is non-refundable in any case while using the partial payment mechanism.
All refunds will be sent to the same bank account or credit card account that was used to make the purchase. Within 10 working days, the refund amount will be completed. The amount of the refund will always be computed based on the net amount paid* for the event booking and the Base Price of the event. (excluding all additional services transport, rent, portage, etc.). Any voucher issued would not include the service tax amount paid while making the booking. For more info : Terms & Condition
Itineraries are subject to change and are dependent on information available at the time of preparation. As conditions permit, “Heaven Riders India” retains the right to change expedition dates, people, or itinerary. The cost of delays and/or other changes is the responsibility of the participant if a trip must be delayed or the itinerary changed due to bad weather, road conditions, transportation delays, government intervention, airline schedules, sickness, or other contingency for which HRI or its agents cannot make provision. For any reason, HRI reserves the right to refuse or accept any individual as a tour member.
– STRICTLY NO LITTERING take belongings back
– Carry original and copy of valid ID.
– Insurance is mandatory for all.
– Participants should be 15+ years old with parents’ written consent.
– Leader’s decision is final, and will have to be followed by all the climbers
– Behave well with staff and respect the locals & also their beliefs & rituals
– Consumption of alcohol and smoking is prohibited during the trip/expedition/trek.
– Any tax/entry fee imposed by the Govt. budget, Administration, or new policy.
– All Technical Gears will be UIAA Certified. Any loss/damage will be charged @1.5 times of actual value to cover up shipping and custom duties OR you can arrange by you
– No show and trek changes/cancellation due to bad weather or natural calamity will be non-refundable
– In case reserve day for summit attempt is utilised, an additional amount would be charged.
– Our team reserves the right to change the plan/itinerary in case there is danger involved.
– Any additional costs due to weather/unforeseen situations, cost of rescue will have to be borne by the climber/you on the spot.
– Carry your personal luggage on your own, if you don’t wish to carry it, you can give it to the porter, but you have to inform us in advance and have to pay extra on the basis of per day per bag.
– Extreme Himalayan Trips require a good amount of physical fitness, stamina and endurance so prepare accordingly.
– In case of bad health, sickness/illness, AMS the participant would be sent back and no refund would be provided. Participants have to bear all the cost beyond.
For any further clarifications ask while booking.